taurineman

Wellington (part deux)

198 posts in this topic

I have Hyperion DS09 AMD metal gear servos. I think Nick and Simon might be using KST's but not sure

All the WeeBees are the same size but perspective in the photo makes them look big to small

Had good fun flying in the mass WeeBee flight on the weekend and the combat sessions were hilarious. The highlight being the 3-way collision and the crazy buzzing sound my fusion kept on making (loose tape on the leading edge was the cause).

My WeeBee has KST X08s in it.

Got to maiden my Bat 2 (new 60" Bat from Ming/Windrider). Initially the rates were far too low my liking and it felt slow and sluggish especially after flying a WeeBee. Because the elevons are quite short and not full-span, it requires a lot of elevon deflection to get the best from it. I built it for DS so i geared the linkages for max holding power/resolution instead of speed/throws. So i had to use 120% throws to get it up to something approaching useful for general slope sport flying. After boosting the rates it seemed much better. Its amazing how much it transforms the percieved performance and speed if it handles more crisply.

I think the CG was about right in the end (as per Mings recommendation) although it could benefit from going back another 1 or 2mm (depending on preference). I built my one with a single central fin. Ming provides 3 fins and you are supposed to use either 2 or 3. I dont like multiple fins (more drag), so i elected for a single central fin. I think mine could be a little bigger as it was not tracking as well as i hoped when slow and turning hard. Once speed was up it was fine - so again it would be ok for DS, but you would probably want a larger one (or multiple) if you were primarily interested in slope sports flying.

At 1.4kgs i dont consider it "heavy", but again i would recommend keeping the weight 200-300grams lighter if general slope sports flying is your goal. For DS it is a totally different prospect - and 1.4 is possibly too light. Time on the backside will tell. In the 40 odd KPH we were flying in it seemed to fly plently well enough, penetrating ok, and holding energy well. No nasty habits when it gets slow (except excessive yawing osscilations cause of my small fin) or fast at high alpha.

Overall, i will reserve full judgement till i get some more stick time and get it over the backside, but i think i prefer the original bat for general slope work - they seem much more lively and faster (emphaszie "SEEMS") even at heavier weights. If i was primarily a front-side slope flyer, i would build it lighter, with a bigger fin, or multiple fins, and use much shorter control horns - and/or perhaps make longer elevons for it.

could be keen for slope. Can't afford to crash any DS models as no time to build more before DS fest. Looks like it could be pretty north to even NE. Perhaps Pukerua Bay could be the way forward?? Maybe a wee foamie DS ??? 

Anyone keen for a fly today?  Simon & I are going to head out to Whitireia Park around 1pm - I have to be back in at 3.30pm.

Not me sorry. Just got back from a week away at the nationals, and have lots to catch up on etc. Have fun tho

Sunday morning is the plan. If we get a bit more west than the current forecast then Ngaio could be the go. Otherwise Titahi Bay

yep. Was not too much interest tonight but I popped out for a quick fly to remaiden some repairs. I successfully re maidened the Zipper and the RT42. The JW still has some problems so its back on the bench next to the MiniVec for more attention. I also had a hoon about with the fusion just wishing that there was another glider for combat. The seagulls were not so keen for combat

Had a great session out at Pukerua Bay this arvo. Nick Simon and I did plenty of combat and a wee bit of DS. Nick was going super well with his moth so I did some video

Nice one Nick! Looks like it was working and was pretty clean too. Did Simon get on the backside?

thats not quite the full story...  thankfully the circuits tightened up and it was going great..

and the commentary at the start of the next clip forewarns the inevitable..

that was my first successful (yet terminal) attempt at DS and jesus god now I can see why you guys like it.   Once you get up to speed its like flying a different plane.   My next stop is NCFM to order another moth!  BTW the the wing came out of it intact, I only need to put a new fuse on it.

Argh! Dont worry Nick, i've hit that damned hill a few times. Its much closer than you realise when your busy concentrating on flying. Thats why we seldomly DS there - its just too tight flying that side. When i saw you fly the other side it did make me wonder that that may be the better way to do it. How was it flying on that side? It would be backwards for me and Jono tho (we always fly the other way round).

So you could mate a AFP fuse to the wing and have an AFP/Moth like mine :)

45 minutes ago, taurineman said:

So you could mate a AFP fuse to the wing and have an AFP/Moth like mine :)

good idea

12 hours ago, taurineman said:

When i saw you fly the other side it did make me wonder that that may be the better way to do it. How was it flying on that side? It would be backwards for me and Jono tho (we always fly the other way round).

It started off ok going clockwise - the main reason to do it was the late afternoon sun that was in the way from the other side.  It was not as smooth going in that way though, so although it was probably safer I didn't try it for very long.   I'd give it a try again another day though.