SlopeMe

Raglan Slope Fest 2016...do we want one?

124 posts in this topic

I just attended a North Island F3b event yesterday held at Matamata as a spectator; several competitors voiced a desire for a slope meeting to be held at Raglan this summer.

We all know the pros and cons of trying to organise this, so.... would YOU like to see something happen? and when?

In accordance with the Wellington guys travelling up and back, I would like to suggest a couple of dates for consideration that would be most likely to suit them:

Wellington Anniversary Day (Weekend): Sat 23rd - Mon 25th Jan,

Waitangi Day (Weekend) Sat 6th - Mon 8th Feb.

As several forum users are not currently frequenting the site, I will contact who ever I can by text/email to solicit their responses and ask them to jump on board with their own comments and suggestions in order to help generate interest.

As we all now know, new regulations may affect the holding of such an event. If anyone would like to assume responsibility for arranging compliances ie NOTAM/permission etc. etc. please let the rest of us know here that you might be willing to do this.

Please feel free to jump in and start a discussion.

Paul.

UPDATE:  official date is now: Wellington Anniversary Weekend Sat 23rd - Mon 25th Jan.

Expressions of Interest as of today: Sept 8.

Jono (Wellington)

Lenbok (Hamilton)

Slopeme (Hamilton)

Kiwikid (Hamilton)

fai2 (Hamilton)

made in nz (Wellington)

ibmaxed (Hamilton)

taurineman (Wellington)

Bill Derenzy (Tauranga)

James Paulus (Auckland)

Mark Goston (Auckland)

Soarer6

vanucle

mcshaz

Dave Pope (Palmerston North)

Yep, I would be keen as a baked bean - either date is fine.

We already have permission to fly at Raglan, so what I think we should do is just see if we can book the carpark site for the weekend. This would let the WDC know that we will be there and avoid any potential conflict with wedding parties etc. I will attend to this once we firm up a date.

Ruapuke can be used as an alternative site and we have had great Slope Fest days there in the past.

post-74-0-99262800-1440465502_thumb.jpg

Not too sure about Notams, perhaps Mark could help out once we get dates sorted. I guess we would just need this to be able to exceed 400 ft AGL?

I am keen. A long weekend would suit me best but will have to check which one could be better. I will talk to some of the Wellington guys and see if there is any more interest.

Jono

Great idea - i'm keen either weekend.  Be good to meet some other slope hacks :)

Nick

Yeah im a starter. Havent been on as the last time I looked the site was down.

Keen (pending work/travel/etc so far out), Ruapuke an option?

yeah, good call Jason. Ruapuke will be our venue if the wind dictates. Cheers.

Yep, I would be keen as a baked bean - either date is fine.

We already have permission to fly at Raglan, so what I think we should do is just see if we can book the carpark site for the weekend. This would let the WDC know that we will be there and avoid any potential conflict with wedding parties etc. I will attend to this once we firm up a date.

Ruapuke can be used as an alternative site and we have had great Slope Fest days there in the past.

attachicon.gifRuapuke-Pits.jpg

Not too sure about Notams, perhaps Mark could help out once we get dates sorted. I guess we would just need this to be able to exceed 400 ft AGL?

Awesome Daryl. Thanks for clarifying that.

Dave is sounding keen as well

Jono,

you were one of the key guys I spoke to at Matamata. Hey if you don't mind, please refer any of the Welly guys to our forum, and it would be fantastic to see some of them up here. BTW, well done ! entering your first F3B comp on the weekend. I think you did very well mate.

Looks like Wellington anniversary weekend looks best at this stage

yeah that's what I'm thinking Jono. Would you be looking at Sat and Sun, then driving back Mon ?

I have booked the weather with Karen TVNZ TV1. 20 kts WSW sea breeze from 10 am both days with clear blue skies and 25 degrees C.  But she said it's going to be 27 C that weekend.  Bugger!

I have booked the weather with Karen TVNZ TV1. 20 kts WSW sea breeze from 10 am both days with clear blue skies and 25 degrees C.  But she said it's going to be 27 C that weekend.  Bugger!

Sounds pretty good to me !!

Jono,

you were one of the key guys I spoke to at Matamata. Hey if you don't mind, please refer any of the Welly guys to our forum, and it would be fantastic to see some of them up here. BTW, well done ! entering your first F3B comp on the weekend. I think you did very well mate.

Yep. I have sent a text out to the usual suspects.

F3B is a bit different to the usual slope shenanigans. It was a great weekend away

I'd be keen to come down from Auckland and put some faces to online identities, and also have a 'social fly' if there is time for that - but I don't have the aircraft (only non-foamies are DLGs) or skills for any full blown F3F - is there room for early-intermediate level fliers, or by meet do you have a more serious type of comp in mind?

F3F ??? Usually there is more combat than anything. Any type of slope glider is good. My favourite for most occasions is a Fusion

F3F ??? Usually there is more combat than anything. Any type of slope glider is good. My favourite for most occasions is a Fusion

I'd be keen to come down from Auckland and put some faces to online identities, and also have a 'social fly' if there is time for that - but I don't have the aircraft (only non-foamies are DLGs) or skills for any full blown F3F - is there room for early-intermediate level fliers, or by meet do you have a more serious type of comp in mind?

mcshaz, on 27 Aug 2015 - 4:27 PM, said:

Hi mc, it's usually all about the social aspect. But it's early days... who knows, if we get sufficient interest in an actual competition then we'll have one. But traditionally, most guys just want to relax and fly for fun. If there is a comp, then there will still be plenty of time for social flying. At the mo, I'm really just seeing how much interest there is and what dates might be preferred.

Foamies of any type are always welcome, most of us have a few. And most of us are "intermediate" haha. You are more than welcome.

As SlopeMe said the slope fest is just intended as a fly what you bring fun fly. :-P

post-74-0-23129000-1440665006_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-90811000-1440665031_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-52248800-1440665056_thumb.jpg

Sweet - see you there (although not sure how an alula or big fusion will be at combat!)

I will be using my Fusion for combat :eek: :eek: :eek: