Dragonfly

Slope sites and wind near Christchurch

9 posts in this topic

Visiting my son who lives in Halswell, Christchurch between Jan 4th till Feb 13, I live in England. I am thinking of bringing over two models a Shwing and a Mini Vec. Would these be suitable for the slopes and wind available at that time of year. I believe people fly near Taylor's Mistake, can you get anywhere near the flying areas by car or do I need to bring my glider carrying backpack. I have walked around from the beach to the head but it was quite a walk with a glider.

Any info would be much appreciated, my son flies quads and power

thanks

Brian

I am going to be down there for some DS from the 13th until 22nd Jan. Christchurch can have good wind and Schwing and Minivec should be fine. Some places are a challenge to land though. These are the slopes that we normally fly for DS https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/report.php?p=36345771

there are some good slopes for frontside flying that I have not been to. Hopefully Alex may let you know about the front side slopes. John Britten is suppose to be an awesome front side slope

Sites around Christchurch.jpg

1 person likes this

Thank you to all. I am looking forward to seeing NZ again and this time flying. I will use your map. 

Cheers 

Brian

Hi Brian, you can call me on 0211582381 if Alex is not available. (he's away till the 10th I think) There are lots of people slope soaring in Christchurch but most fly in small informal groups with no communication between groups so it's not that easy to find someone to fly with other than turning up at a slope and seeing if there's someone there. Or looking on this forum!

Some comments on the map posted above: The summit road is still closed from quake damage between John Britten and Castle Rock (Castle Rock is not shown on this map but is shown on http://www.paraglidingmap.com/), so Taylors Mistake, John Britten and The Loop are accessed from Mt Pleasant Rd or Sumner, while most of the rest are accessed from the summit road off Dyers Pass at the Sign of the Kiwi.

Cass (Ridge) on this map is the DS spot opposite the Sign of the Bellbird shelter, and is a completely different spot to the Cass Bay site shown on Paraglidingmap.

Cheers, Richard

Thank you to all. I am looking forward to seeing NZ again and this time flying. I will use your map. 

Cheers 

Brian

Thank Alex H and RichardK we landed yesterday and will get around to flying soon. Planes arrived with no damage, box a little worse for the trip, not tested everything yet but all should be ok. Plenty of wind since I arrived. 😊

Will certainly give you a ring.

Brian