Sign in to follow this  
dave pope

Mokau

Slope mecca, the trip was well worth it, even though the wind was going down the hill. the holiday park is about 300m from flying sites. Reasonable prices, they sleep 3 each and cost $75 per night for 3 so $25 ea per night.post-54-13812673928737_thumb.jpg

The flying over the beach is very good about 45m up with great LZ sloping back from the face. We flew the first night session from that site.

The main face is up behind and is one of the best I have seen.post-54-13812673929289_thumb.jpg the road up is very steep, and it is on private property, we had permission to go up and I have the owners contact details. After a heart stoppping slow trip up it is worth the trip.post-54-13812673929696_thumb.jpg in this photo you can see the small mown area the is the beach site. From memory the height is around 255m.post-54-13812673929926_thumb.jpg this is the view to the right in which the road comes though. post-54-13812673930316_thumb.jpg This is the left view, the best site is on the left at the top great LZ you could land anything.

This site would work in winds from NW to SW. the trip down was not as bad just take you time (reminds me of Manilla)post-54-1381267393054_thumb.jpg the photos dont really show the steepness.

We put together a small flycam clip off the top flown on the easystar[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpac6Dc21Ws hope the clip give you the idea.

To cap off the weekend we did some night flying off the beach, a bit breezie, but the campers enjoyed it.[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdPlZuKeTKk

So to cap off, a awesome site and I think we need a slope weekend for those from far and wide, to put the site to a great use and a night time BBQ with a few beers. Mark you need to try this one :D:o:twisted:

Thanks for the great report Dave.

The area looks terrific and should be well worth the drive. I'm keen for another go at a weekend flying trip ASAP.

Ditto! Looks like we have a new slope Mecca allright. By my calcs, roughly double the drive distance for us Waikato Folk (as compared to Raglan...) - how about you Palmy guys...? Would it be a better location for larger events?

I think from parmy it is about 3.5 hrs, it was a bit longer with the caravan, the plan for a group trip would be to get the wellington guys to come to parmy and we would load most gear into a small trailer and all go from there, my patrol can take 7 people.

it would be good to arrange a weekend in which mark could attend.

It’s a bit cold for camping now, so a cabin will be a must! Queen's birthday is coming up on June 6th but the weather could be a problem. I wonder if a sea breeze will happen during the summer, like at Raglan

Jono

Dave, would you be able to post up the contact details for the farmer ?

Thanks a lot.

I will have to did out his number. When at mokau I only spoke to him over the phone and he gave me permission to go up and have a look, since then I have not spoken to him again. there was no point suggesting a group outing as I had not seen the site or the access, so I will have to touch base with him again. Maybe through Mike (a mate of mine) that knows him well.

He was at first a bit negative as mike says because a hang glider pilot had a crash up there, when he let them go flying, but after mike explaned that we have models and our feet dont leave the ground, he was more comfortable.

So I might get mike onto it.

I was thinking of heading down the weekend after this, do you reckon your mate will have a chance to chat with the farmer before then?

I was thinking of heading down the weekend after this, do you reckon your mate will have a chance to chat with the farmer before then?

yeah same...