Sign in to follow this  
jonoashton

Port Taranaki - New Plymouth

A couple of months ago I did a job for work in New Plymouth so I took My Fusion and had a scout about for a good flying site. I found a good spot just around the corner from Port Taranaki (a few minutes drive from the centre of town). It takes a Westerly and could be a bit tricky for retrieval in places and it is not as high as even Ruapuke from the beach to the flying spot, however I got good lift and had a good fly. There was a good landing area for foamies and some of the areas further down the road could have been good for glass (at a glance). When I finished flying I continued driving south until the road veered away from the coast and there were several more likely spots however I ran out of time to try them.

Jono

Anywhere

post-67-1381267393282_thumb.jpg

post-67-13812673933341_thumb.jpg

I've seen this cliff a few years back and had the same thoughts, although i didnt have anything to fly at the time. Definitely flyable in the right wind. The Taranaki coast, all the way around, has several costal cliffs which would be flyable in the right winds.

Hello , anyone out there from New Plymouth ?? :D

Just been bitten by the slope soaring bug about two weeks ago when I was talking to a guy that was flying his V tail in front of the Fitzroy motor camp.Unfortunately everything he told me went in one ear and out the other because i was totally mesmerized by what the glider was doing. :roll:

Since then I have built a coroflute eagle and almost finished a coro corsair ww2 and am itchin to fly.

Just need a bit of local knowledge where newbie should start so would great the hear from anyone out there . :D:D

dMtDPz

batman

im not sure if there are many people from Taranaki on this site - could be wrong. If you have specific questions, theres loads of people here who will be more than willing to help out.

You could also try a local affiliates NZMAA club - i see there is 3 in your general area:

http://www.modelflyingnz.org/southernnorth.htm

Theres bound to be someone who will be keen to take you out and show you the ropes if you prefer the hands-on approach.

Keep us posted.

Hi batman and welcome to the site.

As taurineman mentioned I don't recall too many fliers from your parts. If you hook up with that guy again, you might like to mention this forum to him. Alot of us use it for co-ordinating outings, general abuse ect :lol:

I recall one chap from your general area was interested a while back. He is more active on the Parkflyers site under the nick of Matwelli and hails from Hawera IIRC.

In my hang gliding days I used to fly at Bell Block just out of town. The flying site is at the left of the beach access and would be primo for rc gliders.

BellBlock.jpg

I see you had trouble getting your pic to post - is this it?

batmanscorsair.jpg

Nice looking F-4U. The trick on this site is to paste you URL then delete the tags at each end of the URL, then highlight the URL and click on the Img button above - all done.

Thanks for the links guys ,I'll check them out,didnt know there were so many web sites in lil old NZ :lol:

Thanks for the heads up ,I'll check out bell block tomorrow.I live at Fitzroy and was hoping I might be able to fly some lift off the sand dunes with my corro eagle .We shall see !

Yip,thats my Corsair ,just waiting for batteries ,elevator/aileron horns ect to arrive and I'll be good to go.Should come in AUW around 1200g ,200 of that will be lead in the nose cone.

I was lucky enuff to survive hang gliders and microlights back in the day.Just keeping the feet on the ground these days :lol:

thanks for your help

batman