FlyBoy

Laser Cut Fluteboy

I have had a quote from the laser cutter, he will do 20 Fluteboys for us at $70-00 ($3-50 each),

We will have to supply the Corflute, at about $250-00, give or take a $ or 6.

I will see if I can nest it so that the spar, center strengthening and ailerons are is the cut, might cost a dollar or two more, I will let you know.

Any thoughts?

Let me get this straight. $250 (corflute) / 20 + $3.50 (cutting) = $16 each(ish). Subject to selling all 20 I presume.

If so, that’s a dam cheap glider and I am sure the Wellington guys will chip in for bulk postage. How could we possibly go wrong?

Jono

Dread mentioned he's redone the plan with a little more on the two edges that fold up to make the top centre seam, as it had a small gap using the original plan. I think he's got a CAD drawing - you might want to chat to him about it?

yeah, I have a CAD layout with two complete boys nested on a 2440 x 1220 sheet see attached... I could do a bit more work on it to make it 100% and would like to re-cut one to be 100% sure, but to put two on is no problen...

DO we go as far as to put cut outs in the doubling plate to fit two micro servos???

also, the spar height, i made mine 30mm in the centre, Steve suggested only 20mm... this is the only thing that I am unsure about...

post-524-13812673939408_thumb.jpg

thats cheap as chips. Is it possible for the laser to cut some scores where the folds are supposed to be to make it simply fold together?

I'm pretty sure you can't control the depth of the laser, however you could laser cut a couple of small reference marks at each end of the folds to align the fold??? then just fill with hot-glue.

Spar height is completely up to you and what ever servos you fit .

I used HS125's and a thinner wing is a faster wing ;) but like I said what ever suits you is the right height.

P.S remember I used a hardwood spars as well just for the hell of it :mrgreen:

It probably makes sense to do 30mm for the lasercut spars to accommodate the widest range of Rx and servos. Those keen on 20mm can always cut them down.

At that ballpark price you can put me down for 2 possibly 3 (a guy at work is interested in getting into soaring). You should have no problem finding homes for 20.

Hi Dreads, I will take you up on your CAD file, PMed you with my work e-mail. ;)

If need be we can cut more, no issues.

I contacted the Corflex supplier and in the big sheets they only do white, hope that’s OK, if we want colours we will have to go the smaller sheets and that will cost more.

So I vote white and you customise,….. what fun, just like Sawtooth. :D

white is fine with me - a coreflute chevron was never going to win a beauty contest. Paint, vinyl, stickers etc can spruce it up anyway.

working on file now.... white is good, black was hard work, there is some book covering at the warehouse for 97c a roll, two rolls and it works a treat.

There are also companies that can print directly onto coreflute.... hate to think of the cost thou.

Since we are laser cutting I am adding notches in the bottom of the spar and in the doubler to get everything "keyed" together and make it faster to line everything up.

OK, here it is.... :D

notches to align spars, very small circles at the vertex of each fold line... suggest we try one first and see how accurate it is, don't wanna get a bad name :oops:

Flyboy, have sent you the .dxf

Oh, I guess I best put my hand up for one also!!

post-524-13812673940783_thumb.jpg

post-524-13812673942365_thumb.jpg

post-524-13812673943883_thumb.jpg

Nice work Jason, master of the CAD, I'll check the dxf tomorrow and pass it on.

I think getting one done first is a good idea. I’m worried about the heat affected zone on the plastic; Water jet might have too much pressure for the Corflute.

wow, nice work everyone, thats a great team effort !

Yeah put me down for one.

I'll cut my own slots for servos on the servo tray, going to trial some new corona servos, like hs85S only they cost about 10 bucks each...!

Yeah put me down for one.

I'll cut my own slots for servos on the servo tray, going to trial some new corona servos, like hs85S only they cost about 10 bucks each...!

No cut-outs for receiver,servo or battery on the plans, just to align the span position :D

This is going to be good fun :lol::lol:

Jason has done the DXF file and it’s allready at the laser cutter awaiting delivery of the Corflute.

Good afternoon all.

I have got the revised quote, this is of the new DXF drawing from Jason with ALL the parts cut out and slotted for easy assembly.

Quote for cutting parts for each Fluteboy (8 pieces per kit) $ 12.00 incl.gst.

Corflute 2440 x 1220 white is $15.84 incl.gst per sheet (10 sheets).

That’s $19-92 each per Fluteboy - excluding postage (all 8 parts).

There will be some nice chunks of Corflute left over to take away for those that may require extra.

So what I am after is some sort of commitment from the “Combatants” as to who will want a kit, and how many kits before I let the wallet moths loose and start the production.

I'll definetely take one. Provide acct# and i can credit when you're ready. Can we ship all the Wellington ones in one box to say Mark's, and we can pick up from him to save cost?