FlyBoy

Laser Cut Fluteboy

Watch the nesting of the parts in relation to the core flute grooves, we got the flight controllers 90deg the wrong way round last time, they must run along the length. 

i know we got the orientation of the flutes horizontal for the spar/shear-web last time, where it should be vertical  for better compression resistance.

Can you elaborate on what you mean? Not sure i followed.

i think he meant the elevon parts must have the flutes running span-wise. Perhaps even at a slight bias would be better for torsional resistence?

In my past life, my logon was Flyboy, I'm the one that got all the flute boys cut and sent. We nested all the pars for max strength with the flutes running as they should have according to (sorry cannot remember his name) great CNC drawings. When the chap that cut the kit set it all up, he did it for max efficiency for his laser and material. We got the flutes going in all the wrong directions, not as they were planned, hence all the strength for the spars and flight controllers was not there. 

Yes, i sort of figured it was you. ok thanks for the clarification. So the CAD files are correct, then? JUst need a faithful cut...

Sorry not yet. I need to find the original laser-cutter outfit. Read as: i need to spend some more time chasing up laser-cutter shops...

Dave and Gareth hand cut a couple last week and maidened them at Shannon on Saturday. They are not Fluteboys but possibly Zaggi's but what ever they are, they flew very well. They did need a bit of wind though as they are not overly light. They only took the guys 2 evenings including manually cutting them out

Jono

Have half a dozen new slope guys here looking for models to fly. Anyone got any suggestions of cheap easy and robust?

yes Garath and built a couple of the dAzi4 that are a corofulte wing like the fluteboy. I built a few of these years ago and are cheap tuff and you can build them in an afternoon. 1 sheet of 3mm coroflute and you get 2 planes, you do need a small sheet of 5mm for the internal centre section and elevons plus a packet of glue sticks and some zip ties.

the plan is easy to follow but the dimensions are a little out when you fold together but for what it is it does not matter. I would recommend as cheap and a great slopie the cg is very close to the plan, mine was right on the money but Garath needed a little nose weight.  To fold well a pizza cutter is a must and a straight edge of a bench. Hot glue works well but you need fillet sealing as well and tape the trailing edge.

if you search dAzi4 you should fine the plans.

dave