dreadlock

Popeye's nemesis... Offers?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STRl9uUBflQ

You tube has edited the crap out of the video to get rid of my wind jitters - unfortunately their "improvements" have screwed up the colour balance - oh well - you get the idea... it flies, and flies well - about the same speed as my Reaper. I was flying with around the same weight - I say around because my kitchen scales are misbehaving - they are rated to 2kg, but wont measure over 1.6 for some reason at the moment. I'm fairly certain the reaper is 1.7 fully ballasted - and I stuck another 245gram strap of lead on top as well - flew like it was on rails... with a jet strapped on the back!

Both gliders were very evenly matched for speed.

I think i still have a grin from this afternoon. :D

Took the graphics I had designed to the signwriter, who couldn't convert yadda yadda yadda to a file they could use to cut, so ended up buying a meter of 551 oracal and set out cutting my own, everything on it has been cut by hand, which took a long time last night.post-524-1381267548125_thumb.jpgpost-524-13812675481848_thumb.jpg

Off to Ruapuke with the promise of some decent wind, was not disappointed!post-524-13812675482452_thumb.jpgpost-524-13812675483063_thumb.jpg

Had set all the throws and COG as per the manual, tried about three throws and she would just dive down in front of me, time for the 10g stick on weight. Placed this 1" back from COG, she took off but just had ZERO elevator managed to level it out and ditch into the long grass. Weight back another 1" and was very off straight out infront. Again very little elevator, so hit the mix switch and threw in all the elevon's as well. Phew! Long story short, rain looming, Panic set in and came in to land WAY off and ended way up over the top out of sight. DOH! :oops:

Covering wrinkled on the nose and SPLIT the oracover from the trailing edge about 5" forward, directly on one of the lines where the fibre tape butts together, top AND bottom.

Right, this thing is GOING to fly :evil: Moved the weight way back, added about another 2mm to the elevator throw, taped the elevator back on where the hinge had split a little and time to hiff it off again. WOW, elevator a bit better, but needed the mix to have 100% control, The video Rog took is of it at this stage, flew about for a while and in for a 'proper' landing.

Wind picked up even more, only one thing to try, a belly full of lead.

After 25min I had to come in and land, intense, awesome. :D

Put the iron on it tonight and all the wrinkles have come out, looks like new again apart from the split in the covering... I just hope the drag spar is not split. Have to re-hinge the elevator so will add the black panel I want on it at the same time.

Happy with how it flies but not sure how to get decent elevator with 'just the elevator', Plenty of time to tune it, I just have a new favourite plane.

I'm fairly certain the reaper is 1.7 fully ballasted - and I stuck another 245gram strap of lead on top as well - flew like it was on rails... with a jet strapped on the back!

Both gliders were very evenly matched for speed.

Just Checked the Bluto, 1680gm with all the Ballast.

Yikes, sounded like a scary maiden. Are you sure you had the CG right? An extra 2 mm of elevator on a plank like the Bluto is a lot.

Nice work on the covering. That logo must have taken ages 8-)

Measured all the individual component weights. For comparison, the reaper is 1189g no ballast. It carries 495g of ballast internal (1683g) and yesterday i added an extra 243g, so i was right at 1926g being close to 2kg flying weight.

Sent from my GT-I5503T using Tapatalk 2

Yikes, sounded like a scary maiden. Are you sure you had the CG right? An extra 2 mm of elevator on a plank like the Bluto is a lot.

Nice work on the covering. That logo must have taken ages 8-)

Well, hindsight is a great thing, I was so sure I had checked the CG after the balance weight had been glued in and finished..... :shock:

I took the stick on weight off and checked... :( the CG was way forward to start with... By the time I had made my adjustments on the day it was just about spot on the factory CG. Arghhhh :evil: so gutted I never checked after covering over the Ballance weight.

Anyway, not to much damage was done, I did crack the drag spar right where the fin gusset finishes, managed to cut a bit out and strengthen up and you would never know it broke. All the wrinkles have ironed out. Taken the opportunity to reapply the black to the ailerons (a couple of bubbles were in them) and just have to re cut one half of the Breitling logo.

I think with the CG a notch back from the recommended I will regain the elevator control easily and only need the 3mm up/down.

:?: I need to reattach the elevator and ailerons.... What is the best tape to use for this?

A type of Sellotape called Diamond tape (Sellotape brand). The problem is that Sellotape has stopped making it but just the other day I found a couple of rolls at a stationary shop of old stock.

The Sellotape replacement is called Crystal Clear and will do but not as good

Jono

Best effect comes from the right method of tape attachment of the hinges. Doesn't really matter what cellotape you use - follow this method and you'll get perfect hinging.

Tape a piece of tape about 50mm long. Cut the tape in half, turn one half over and stick the two sticky sides together with about 5mm overlap. You should now have a piece 45mm long with roughly half sticky on one side and half sticky on the other. Make a second piece like this. Take the elevator and put one piece of tape on the top of the elevator so that the section of tape in the centre is right on the hinge line, stick the other sticky side to the underside of the wing. Take the second piece of tape and slide it down the hinge line. Stick the second tape to the top of the wing and the underside of the elevator. Repeat alternate taping of top and bottom. I'll do a sketch to explain, think it will be easier...

Well, hindsight is a great thing, I was so sure I had checked the CG after the balance weight had been glued in and finished..... :shock:

I took the stick on weight off and checked... :( the CG was way forward to start with... By the time I had made my adjustments on the day it was just about spot on the factory CG. Arghhhh :evil: so gutted I never checked after covering over the Ballance weight.

:?: I need to reattach the elevator and ailerons.... What is the best tape to use for this?

Sellotape book repair tape is what I use. Nice strong UV resistant tape that's just the right width. I get it from the stationery/Lotto place at the Dinsdale shops. It's a bit expensive, but it works well.

I'm glad to hear you figured out the CG :) You had me worried there as Matin's usuallly spot-on with instructions and recommended settings. I usually have more elevator that he recommends, but with lots of expo - just personal preference.

..........not sure how to get decent elevator with 'just the elevator', ........
FWIW, the "elevator only" setup should only be considered the "trainer option".

In other words, once you have setup your Bluto to fly fast and furious (with the "all-surface elevator" option) you can flip the switch to "elevator only" when you want to give the tranny to someone who has never flown a Bluto.

Don't worry, after a few minutes they will flip the switch to "All" !!!

Matin

As an observer watching it fly, I was going to recommend the same thing to Jason - nice to have you back here again Matin...

When are you going to come over to NZ for a fly - there is a planned DS fest in December down in the South Island... one of the Aussie guys just came over to have an early look... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743405

When are you going to come over to NZ for a fly - there is a planned DS fest in December down in the South Island... one of the Aussie guys just came over to have an early look... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743405

I know!.....Thrice to Oz and no stops in NZ!

I got to do it one of these times. The guys talk about your slopes when we meet and I keep drooling!

I'm not much of a DS flyer, otherwise the meet is very tempting indeed!

Matin

Used some Sellotape Book Repair Tape and have hinged the surfaces as per Rog's video, very impressed with the rigidity of the hinge. :D

With 60" of wing to hinge with 36mm wide tape... sure takes a while, longer than a free fall from 38km!

Next step a few extra decals and all will be ready for the next gale.

Cheers Matin for an awesome plank! :D

Yep - it does take a while on a big wing. Should have mentioned you can do hybrid if you like spacing out the double sided tapes then adding a single layer over the top side of the hinge like a normal one. This assumes hinging from the bottom...

Glad you like it anyway, i forget who taught me that trick but it works every time and so far seems very durable...

Well its all back together minus the horns and rods... added a couple more decals to finish it off. After taping the hinges I added a strip of covering on the top to finish it off, came up pretty good.post-524-13812675491143_thumb.jpgpost-524-13812675492035_thumb.jpgpost-524-13812675492802_thumb.jpgpost-524-13812675493578_thumb.jpg

This is quite simply my most favorite color scheme of all the Blutos I've seen built.

As a matter of fact, if I didn't have to worry about the copyright issues relating to the graphics, I would put it on our website's first page in a heartbeat!

Get it flying dang it!!!......And let's see some video....

Matin

Ok, 2nd time round balancing this thing... really the first time balancing something as precise as this...

HELP! :?::?:shock::o

Does this look balanced. This is with the points on the recommended 1" aft LE mark.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8yhGw_EyTo&feature=youtu.be

I have tried a little 5gm weight, sliding forward and back and this is about as good as it gets....

Does this look right?

The extra decals on the ailerons (fully covered underside) and inside of fins seam to have added all the extra weight I needed to this point. :)

Does this look balanced........

Not only does it look balanced, it is in fact balanced as well as possible.

Typically we call the plane balanced at a point where if left alone, from a horizontal attitude, it will tip back as many times as it tips forward.

The reason for this (and the reason the plane doesn't want to stay horizontal where you left it) is that the "system" is top-heavy and the actual CG of the "system" is a few inches above the sharp points you've set up.

You can balance the plane upside down and it might be a little bit more stable because the tip of the sharp points will be closer to the actual CG.

(Conventional low-wing planes are much easier balanced upside-down because there's a lot of mass above the balance point.)

In any case, this CG is a starting point only, and is intended to improve your chances of a successful maiden.

Depending on the final shape if the wing (how much did the shape changed during the build and covering) the CG might be spot-on or need adjusting.

Matin

BTW do I understand that you are balancing it because you intend to fly it?!!!....Cuz this beauty looks like a museum piece to me!

As a matter of fact, if you can get a picture of the dead-on top view to me (look at the Home page of NCFM) I might want to feature it on our website.

BTW do I understand that you are balancing it because you intend to fly it?!!!

Oh it WILL be flown!.... once I have finished the Bathroom renovations which is taking up my weekends at the moment. It is my new favourite!

Wing shape is pretty much unchanged, so will use this COG point to start with (now Knowing that I was off the mark a bit with my first flights). and slowly shift it back.

:D

After looking at the date of my last post in this topic.... I really have struggled to get out flying in the last few years. With 3 kids growing up fast and commitments as trustee on a couple of boards, work overseas, I  just have not had time to get out by myself and fly.🙁

It was at our family xmas lunch this year, in my garage, when I looked up at the Bluto hanging there in the rafters, covered in one of my kids first flannelette sheets, and thought maybe, just maybe it is better if she is with someone else who can take her out and spread her wings (not literally!).

Is anyone keen on taking Bluto off my hands, open to reasonable offers...

Every now and then I have taken her down and cycled the battery, I think I would recommend a new battery pack (purely based on age) if you were going to take her on, All servos are operating 100%. The lost model alarm is Beeping, all the time, but I think that might be a programming thing I set on a switch when installed - it has been so long since I spent time on the sticks let alone programming a Tx!

Have a look at the build log, pretty much exactly as is apart from the usually landing rash.

So, if anyone here is keen, or knows of someone that might be, let me know. She'll be wrapped up this afternoon and put back in the rafters till maybe one day I get back out there....

IMG_8361.JPG

IMG_8362.JPG