Mark G

Donations

Guys - I am humbled by your support lately. Thanks for helping out. The bar on the donation block on the index page is climbing really. THANKYOU!  :wink:

Hi all,

Well it's time for me to once again broach the subject of forum support to keep this forum running. The forum costs me about $35 per month to operate. Over the years I have spent a lot of my own cash to keep it going, and while I would really like to be able to keep it going on my own, I'm not prepared to keep paying for this by myself.

I have been very grateful to the financial supporters on the forum over the years. I would like to see RCSoaring.co.nz continue as a community forum, and perhaps those users who feel they want to contribute could could do so. If we can raise $420 over the next 30 days... this will cover the next 12 months costs. I would then be happy to lend my credit card again to paying for it. If not, I will probably have to close the forum. :cry: ... which I don't want to do.

Lets have until 19th October 2014 to see where things are at. If you would like to contribute - perhaps pop up a pledge right here in this thread.

Let's hope we can keep it going into the future  :wink:

cheers all

Mark

also - if there is someone out there who would like to assist in maintaining the forum - sing out and lets chat :)

I'm sure reducing spam is fairly simple matter on the forum...just don't have the time free like I use too....so some help would be sweet! All maintained in the back end.

Thanks Pete... you may be right... but at least the good thing here is that is super stable and easy to use. Spam is an issue.... but if I had more time to spend... I think we could tweak the settings to capture most of it.

Personally I don't think the cost is too bad... just like/need to share the load :)

We use to be on a PhPbb forum... was ok... but needed regular upgrades.....and I self hosted.... which was very time consuming..... Upgrades happen behind the scenes here...as this is hosted. Also...support is just a click away for me if anything goes wrong etc...

Thanks for your efforts in keeping the web site going Mark.

The traffic volumes have certainly dropped off since the “heydey” a few years back as people have fallen by the wayside, disappeared and/or developed other interests. Truth is, there are only about a dozen or so regular users of the site with a few blow ins and lurkers about as well. This is not really a critical mass to justify a website and the posters could just as easily use a few threads on another site, but as Roger alluded to, the real value of the site is the historical accumulation of postings. There is also the possibility that “new blood” like Len and Jason will come along to replace the bolters and perhaps we can do a bit in this regard by directing potential posters here when the opportunity arises.

Yep, it would be nice not to see those spammers slipping through, or at least getting pinged in a timely fashion. Maybe one of the regulars has some experience in web maintenance and can lend a hand. I like the new forum format, particularly the ability to post larger pics.

I had been donating monthly until recently when it got screwed up due to my CC being hacked. So I would be happy to do a lump sum up front payment of $60 now to add to the pool.

As far as new trafic... Is it understood that people cannot see any content on the site unless loged in? It has always been that way for me anyways... So before joining I did not know anything about the site... Is this feature on purpose? It seems to me that it would hinder people looking into the hobby

As far as new trafic... Is it understood that people cannot see any content on the site unless loged in? It has always been that way for me anyways... So before joining I did not know anything about the site... Is this feature on purpose? It seems to me that it would hinder people looking into the hobby

Yer my thoughts exactly

Had long forgotten that new potential users couldn't see the forum posts prior to signing up. No biggie - agree this should be done. Just a time issue at the mo. Pretty easy to fix this in the admin section.

Thanks Daryl  - have always appreciated your contributions to the site.

Also agree that having the record of past posts is brilliant.

Just maybe we can get up to the $460 somehow....

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Hey guys - many thanks for the donations - just checked them its very much appreciated!

The donation button on the home page is the place to do it - or let me know if you like to do it via internet banking etc...

Seriously - thanks guys.

this has been a great forum and I can't believe that more people don't use it. So much information about builds, slope locations... the list just goes on. I have donated as I want this site to continue.

Jono 

Hey Jono - thanks heaps for the donation....much appreciated. We are well on the way to having the forum stick around... bit more to go and we are there :)

Thanks all...

Oh my gosh!!! you guys have blown me away with your generosity! We have reached the goal for 12 months guys...I am very very grateful! Thanks for all of you who have donated. 

I am really stoked that the site will keep on running.

I will take the opportunity and give the site a tweak too... particularly allowing non members to see threads etc...

Seriously thanks guys!

Mark

Mark, I would be able to help out  if wanted. I am assuming you need a Moderator to delete the spam threads and profiles when they are posted and possibly some other general things?

I am currently busy until about the 20th of November, then I could help out over the summer holydays at least, since I do not have a real Job but am tied down at home most days anyways...

I have no experience in running forums and pretty much basic understanding of computers... I have been around several forums for various things however... 

Thanks Vanuckle - very much appreciated. I will have a good think on how to set up some moderators etc and let you know soon.

Thanks again guys. Amazing!