taurineman

Wellington (part deux)

taurineman    10

Im not sure what happened to the last Wellington thread - may have been deleted after the spam attacks of late? This then is the new Wellington 'wanna go fly' thread.

So, with that out of the way - who wants to go fly Sunday afternoon at whitiriea park/titahi bay? I have a shed-load of planes to re-maiden/check the programming etc after various models have been repaired and back into service and/or have been migrated over to the Taranis.

Thinking of getting there after 1pm for a few hours. Looking ok for now although i do need some big air for some of them.

Firefly    2

Pretty busy getting ready for my exhibition.

post-136-0-46891400-1423264973_thumb.jpg

After it's over I'll have more time for building and flying.

If I get a chance I'll drop by and see what you're flying.

Jason

taurineman    10

Was a solid 70-80kph today. No one else came out to fly. Was huge air and fun. Got many models dialed in and ready for the dark side except my d40 which has a failing servo so it didn't fly :(

Sent from my Lumia 930 using Tapatalk

Firefly    2

Was going to come over but it took the whole afternoon to put flyers in letterboxes in Plimmerton/Camborne. Next time I'm going to hire someone else to do it :!: .

made_in_nz    6

I only saw this when I got back into cell phone coverage from camping this weekend - too late.  I headed out about 6.30pm with Simon - wind was 46-52 and really nice out there.  Looking forward to getting my zepper finished to bounce around out there..

jonoashton    16

We had pretty light conditions over the weekend.

I headed up to Dave’s on Friday afternoon for some shed time on the Scratcho. Saturday morning we headed up to the wind farm to find a light SE breeze. We had just enough to fly but had a cracking day furballing foamies and RT42’s. The RT42’s were awesome to furball with many laps wing tip to wing tip. Best speed of the day was 133mph by Dave’s light PMS and the same speed for me with my Typhoon. The Typhoon had bad flutter so I will have to (once again) try to sort out the slop in surfaces.

On Sunday, Pete G, Pete W and I headed down to Long Gully. It was supposed to be a light south East but turned out to be a dead south to possibly south west. The normal spot was a complete wash out so we headed around a bit further to a more south facing slope. It is a small area but was working well so we spent a few hours with foamies. Pete W and I furballed JW and Smack 60 for some time. Pete G got the best speed with 113 ish ?? and Pete W got 107.

No real speed over the weekend but was fun anyway.

post-16-0-21149900-1424029395_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-80055600-1424029424_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-77477200-1424029458_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-02082300-1424029681_thumb.jpg

AlexH    9

I swear that JW is one of the original ones from 2000-2001 era! Before they went to the Tapered LE. Could be the only one in existence!

made_in_nz    6

Simon & I are going to head out to Whitireia Park after 4pm today if anyone else is interested to come along.  I know Jono is out today.

taurineman    10

Me n Jono and perhaps Peewee will be heading up Ngiao this Saturday to get some DS in - It will be the first proper DS session of 2015 if all goes to plan.

All Welcome...

jonoashton    16

Nick, Simon and I had a great fly on Thursday evening after work. There was booming lift (good enough to maiden a heavy AFP :mrgreen:) and was warm until the sun went down. We flew well after the sun went down and the moon came up before heading home. That may be the last after work fly for the season.

Tomorrow ( Saturday) we are planning to DS at Ngaio if the weather holds. Let me know if you are interested

Jono

post-16-0-90062700-1428051073_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-36435300-1428051075_thumb.jpg

jonoashton    16

We have had a very unusual summer here in Wellington. We usually get plenty of wind all year round but this summer has been very quiet, especially in the weekends.

Today was different. The forecast was 20 – 30 knots but Pete read the wind speed more like 50 knots or 60 mph. From there it got a lot windier during the day. There was Pete W, Pete B, Pete G, Nick and myself up the ridge. Pretty easy to remember everyone’s names…

Pete G started with his modified M60 and although a bit rough it was still pretty good and he got his best speed to date with this aircraft at 156mph.

I then flew the 3m PMS and had a great flight. The PMS just cuts through the rough and is super responsive for a 3m glider. I got to 226 several times but could not coax any more out of her. I was pretty happy with the speed as it is a new site record and the fastest that I have got the PMS too so far. The landing however left a whole lot to be desired when I let the PMS drift back too far and it ran out of front side lift and nosed in. I cracked the fuse and not too had to fix but that was the finish of the PMS for the day.

Nick tried the 68 inch fusion but was too light for the conditions and Pete W flew his JW finishing with a spectacular break up through the sheer. As it happened it was only the nose breaking off and the wing was completely fine.

Pete G flew his Smack 60 to 148 but it had got super windy and rough. Peter W tried his reaper and got (I think 147) but we came to the decision that it was just too rough.

Not listening to anyone else I decided to try my smack 60 and I got 148 in about the 2nd lap before losing control. It was just too rough.

It had got so windy that it was hard work just getting back to the car. Perhaps the Wellington wind is back. Watch this space…..

I was disappointed not to get to fly the Scorcher but it was just to wild to try it. I should have flown it first.

Jono

made_in_nz    6

Here's an idea of how windy it was.  It was quite a struggle for Pete to get the PMS to the edge to launch.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW9tJCt2FTs

taurineman    10
That was one of the roughest days i have up there, but yet we have flown in much higher winds than that up there. The wind was NNW, so in theory it shouldnt have been that bad - go figure.

Earlier, it wasn't quite so rough and i managed to get a few reasonable laps in with the M60/AFP hybrid (up to 156MPH), before clipping some bush on the way down which relieved the wing of its fuselage. The wing was recovered undamaged, but fuselage was not to be found - kindly offered to the gods of DS as a sacrafice. I have a spare AFP fuselage, so i will ready that one.

Jono did a stellar job flying his PMS in the rough wind - although there was a couple of pucker moments. It was awesome seeing it over 200 and setting the new site record. Shame about the ding on landing - it'll buff out...

Peewee's JW ejected its nose passing through the shear only a few laps in. It'll fly again, and be heavier and better for it. 120.

Peewee also flew his Reaper very well in the worsening conditions to 149. he made the right call in cutting the flight short and getting it back down before he had two models to fix. He did some epic saves to get the landing of the day.

Some vids:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlOdn2gwzcY

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP8ifrdv6Ks

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgrfV1sHyS0

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsSC2JgbeIU

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LttPoTW6IZ8