taurineman

Wellington (part deux)

Ian    0
11 hours ago, taurineman said:

2.4g is legal and very widely used. All good there. Even better we dont have to use special EU LBT firmware ;)

Me, i got a whole range of different things and everything in between really. Some slopers, some hardcore DS ships, some DLG, some bigger F3B and F3J and F5J composites etc. Really too many list without causing embarrassment to myself...

Most of us Welly guys have a small 20" tweety wing called a WeeBee which i have made most of them which are hilarious to fly and easy to make. I might get around to making another one soon - which you could have for material cost if you like?

I had to get rid of some models before we came over here- I didn't realise what I had until I got to the back of the workshop!

a 20" model sounds good fun, thank you!  Tempting to see if it flys on the Kilbernie sea front:-)

Ian

jonoashton    16

right now, the forecast looks pretty dam good for the weekend. Is anyone keen for Ngaio ?? Sunday and labour day look the best. It does not look record breaking but it would be good to get some speed happening for a change !! 

taurineman    10

So at this stage Sunday afternoon looks about as strong as any other day but is slightly more W than Monday. But both days look good.

So, i will need to make a call, so i can decide whether i fly flat-field Sunday morning at Trentham or not. What suits others?

taurineman    10

Here's some video from the yesterday's trip up in behind Ngaio.

A fist-full of records for pilots:
- airframe record for Bat 2 - 160mph
- site record for Scratcho 196mph
- best (non-gyro) speed for my Burner 184mph
- best speed for my Reaper DS 168mph (its kind of in need of some repairs now...)

Hats of to Jono chalking up three flights with his scratcho and landing them perfectly each time smile.gif

made_in_nz    7

Awesome speeds guys!  What was the wind speed up there yesterday?

Pete, your burner seemed to take smoother lines without the gyro - does it get to a point where gyro vs pilot start working against each other at that speed?

taurineman    10

I guess the winds were probably about 50-60kph? 

The gyro has had mixed results. I dont have a lot of experience with it to give an accurate response. You do have to be careful of gyro-induced oscillations/feedback-loops. So gain tends to be wound down a bit (30% ish). I dont run any gyro on the elevator channel at the moment (for better or worse).

Yesterday i noticed a few things i havent previously:

• im pretty sure i got a gyro-induced oscillation on the roll-axis at one point where as it passed through the shear (heading up) i did a funny roll oscillation which freaked me out. I wound the gyro gain back a bit and didnt see it again.
  • i found out it flies all but the same with or without the gyro. I think the gains are now so low, there is little difference.

A while ago, i did a back-to-back comparison with gyro on vs off and it was chalk and cheese the difference - with it off i couldnt even fly it... Yesterday did not bare out the same result - not even close. Both very flyable. Im willing to accept the my attempt a while ago was down to some bad air passing through at the time of my non-gyro flight. Or perhaps i had selected heading-hold mode by mistake - that would make it real difficult to try to fly...

Note that this is all one brand of gyro, and im sure others may react differently. But i think this type seems to be prone to gyro-induced oscillations at the sort of speeds and conditions DS operates under.

What would be nice is a gyro where it is a bit smarter in dampening out the gyro-induced oscillations, so we can still run a higher gain and get a much better stability effect during DSing.

jonoashton    16

Saturday could be good if anyone is keen. I would like to get back up to Ngaio again. I have to be finished and back in the car by 4.30 but could start mid to late morning

taurineman    10

In the end it was all a bit of a bust. Peewee and Clifton arrived to come up as well with me. But we got the call from Jono saying it was total cloud white-out up there. So we all decided to do some relaxing sloping at Titahi Bay. I didnt really bring many true slope/sports ships as i was loaded up with sleds for DSing. Fun all the same ;)