taurineman

Wellington (part deux)

Hi Jono

I will be there but have a brunch starting at 11 so probably will be at the bottom of the hill by 1:00

I will ring when I get there and see what you think

Best

Peewee

I went up the short (and steep) way to Ngaio to find Jono carving some smooth laps with the Smack. I got out the gun and the "observer effect" came into full force and his laps went to pack. Eventually he got it up to 140 on the nose before a heavy landing snapped out some nuts from the fuse. 

I had brought up my old beater Beevolution which now has more laminate and tape, covering, goop, and additional spars that EPP. It flies like a pig with spear stuck in its side. I was determined to give it a decent "send off" into the hill at speed to kill it once and for all to clear up space in my shed. Well, it soon found the hill but survived the incident frown.gif no speed recorded.

I had also brought up my wooden Spruce Goose which i had just spent some more time on getting some good compression hinges and gap-seals on etc. It has previously been a fairly erratic flyer. I got it out and my changes to the hinging were obvious and it was carving nicely. Super smooth and deadly silent. I soon had it up to a new PB of 179mph when i kind of put it into the hill at 150+ frown.gif Upon retrieval, it was a complete write-off. Fuselage MIA, wing snapped in two aileron missing, massive chunks missing etc. 

Then Jono flew his PMS and had that looking pretty comfortable in the low 200s, peaking at 225. The landing was about as good as you can possibly do up there, but it still slapped/belly-flopped the ground a little hard and cracked the fuselage. So that was out too.

Next up, i flew my Crack-Waxa (Alex Hewson made copy of flying fish II/Genesis/Razor). I had a couple of issues with it dropping into landing mode (and thus much higher aileron rates) during the laps - which got real scary while it did ninja-star/rifle rolls punching out. However it cruised around in the 160-180s quite nicely. Eventually topping it out at 186 and another new PB before calling it quits to change my radio programming (and a less than good landing)

Jono then flew his newly fixed up Dynamic 60. At first his low rates were far too high, so i tried to fix them in flight, but i dont know my way around JR radios, so he kept flying it out front until Peewee turned up about 5 mins later. Between them they got it sorted and jono dived back in to get a decent 202. 

I had to leave at this point, so im hoping jono will fill in the rest...

Yep. Well I could not land anything to save my life on Saturday. Apart from that I had a great day's flying. I was pretty happy with the 202 out of my D60 on it's first flight over the dark side. It felt a bit tail heavy so I will try it with a little more in the nose to see how it goes. thanks to PeeWee for spending the time leaning over my shoulder and adjusting my rates on the fly. I am going to make a new fuse for the PMS. It has been broken and fixed too many times and there is no strength left in it

Jono

Perfect day for a fly - Simon & I are planning on heading out to Whitireia at 11.30am for a fly. 

3 out of my 6 planes have been patched up and ready to hit the sky again :)

It was a great day at the Bay yesterday. It got warm enough to leave the jackets in the car and still had pumping lift with a 50kph ish (at a guess) westerly. Nick, Simon and I had a couple of hours with a good swag of foamies. One of Simon's friends got on the buddy box for his first go at sloping. He is a pilot for Air NZ and decided to try his skills on a smaller aircraft. He flew pretty good for a first timer but perhaps not the type of maneuvers his Boeing piloting skills prepared him for (I hope).

Pete showed up a bit later and had a good blast about with his reaper but by the time he got the Mini Blade out the wind had dropped off. 1/2 hour later it shifted to the south.

Summer is coming and so after work flying could be the go

Jono

yes, was good getting back out to Titahi again and flying with Nick. Shame i couldnt get there any earlier. Next time.

I had a lot of fun scooting my WeeBee around too :)

Pete and I went up the Hill last weekend for a bit of a fly. It was not as windy as we thought and started out nice and smooth but changed a bit later to be quite unpredictable. It was a last minute thing so I just took up my Smack 60 and Pete just his Smack, D40 and AFP.

The thing that I was dying to try was my new GoPro 4 Silver that I got for my birthday. The footage was not spectacular however I was very impressed with the GoPro and head strap. Here is a snippet of the footage

Jono

What a fantastic day we had on Saturday . The lift was booming, it was smooth and warm !! Simon, Nick and I were the only pilots except a guy from the Kapiti Club who came to test fly a Sig Ninja however it was a bit windy for the light glider. We had a good swag of foamies and my Heinkel PSS'er. There was plenty of combat and general mucking about with the foamies. The Heinkel flew the best that it has ever gone with big loops and 1/2 pipes etc. I have not had such a good day of front side in a long time.

Pete - My GoPro records in 4k but not on the narrow field of view that I need to use. If I used wide angle the gliders would be too far away to see clearly 

titahi bay.JPG

Its one I watch regularly. I don't know where exactly it is, but it seems to be a reasonable indicator for ngiao. I wonder if it's up on Johnson's hill or more likely is on the water tank at the end of Montgomery road. Perhaps wrights hill? I've not seen a station on Johnson's hill and I've been up there quite a few times.