SlopeMe

Raglan Slope Fest 2016...do we want one?

Slope me - the link in your signature (for details click here) is dead (it is to the old rcsoaringcommunities)

I'm definitely keen on the idea of a group plank build! Foam appeals more than corflute purely because I love airfoils and aerodynamic principles (as a relative building novice, I assume the corflute is just flat), and if a member has a core cutting service, it seems sensible to use it.

as per the rcgroups post, I would think it wise to steer clear of the Wisel name, as dream flight are apparently soon to release an updated weasel (as per the interview in page 38 of this rc soaring digest - note 8 MB download).

Good evening all, one quick build, cheap, easy to fly, tuff as old boots ODR, would be fun.

had just thought of that after posting - start with a one design race on day 1, day 2 smash them up in combat. In between eat meat. Perfect weekend.

the flute boy is an airfoil shape and flies nicely. Cheap, tough, easy and quick to build, and flies nicely. I'll see if I can find the old threads

Slope me - the link in your signature (for details click here) is dead (it is to the old rcsoaringcommunities)

yes, I know. The link is irrelevant anyway. Just post up any querry.

An EPP chevron is the best and easiest for a group build. I think Alex use to have a design. It is more expensive than a flute boy but will fly much better and epp is much tougher than EPO etc

Have we decided on the Windrider Bee2 as the model for a group build/single design racing/combat? I am happy with this choice, although it does not sound quite as much fun as the Wisel/paying Slopeme to cut some foam for us. As one of the least experienced fliers, the sooner I can get the relevant wing ordered and built, the sooner I can start practicing for racing and combat.

are there any "how to guide" anyone is aware of for racing? the videos I have seen on the net seem to involve starting with some altitude, and then keeping the plane very flat and near to foot level in between turning for the pylons.

Edit - found these

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=969196

http://www.socalsloperacing.com/f3fimprovement.htm

http://www.f3x.com/htdocs/howto/Slope%20Racing%20101.htm

cheers

For me 90US with the exchnge rate will make it the only model I build for the summer. That is fine but I would still like to look at doing a cheap scratch build...

For me 90US with the exchnge rate will make it the only model I build for the summer. That is fine but I would still like to look at doing a cheap scratch build...

=$NZ145 at todays exchange rate

$US105 if you get the 2 servos and a battery. (=$NZ170)

Whether a scratch build would be equivalent in price might depend on how much stuff you have lying around at home (reinforcing rods, linkages, filament tape, covering material, balsa for control surfaces - it looks like this all comes with the bee). I certainly have spares lying around, but more importantly, I like planes with a fuselage rather than chevron wings - purely a cosmetic thing.

The other side of the coin might be future social meets/slope fests for single design slope racing  - be nice to have something easy to get hold of rather than something only 8 of which were ever made.

amongst the bee there is Bee2 - which JonoAshton already owns, or the beevolution, which is a thinner faster airfoil, which makes some sense for racing.

Slopeme - are you available to cut some Wisels if that was the decision, and roughly how much would you estimate the cost per unit if you were to make ~6?

This is Slopemes thread, but (hopefully without offending the O.P.) I can set up a couple of polls.

is it confirmed for Wellington anniversary weekend (Sat 23rd - Mon 25th Jan). I would like to look at booking a cabin at the camp ground if it is.

Jono

Guest Dave Pope

The Wellington Anniversary weekend works for me just.

would be awesome to fly with you all again.

Opps forgot to log in,

I plan to camp in my van, should be a nice time of the year.

Not sure if Lyn can come up, if she does than a cabin would be the go.

Out of respect for the manufacturer I can't cut "Wisels" or "Beevolutions". But If you provide me with a planform and profiles (or a Profili2 airfoil/chord) for something similar, and it were...well ...something else...similar...then no problem.

Without seeing a planform I could not price anything. What I can say is: $80 for the first set, then $10 a set after that, plus foam cost whatever that is. Add em up and divide by 6.

How would it be if one of the Hamilton buyers pick them up and take responsibility for posting to the others. That would reduce my time input to something I could then manage for you guys.

Slopeme - are you available to cut some Wisels if that was the decision, and roughly how much would you estimate the cost per unit if you were to make ~6?

This is Slopemes thread, but (hopefully without offending the O.P.) I can set up a couple of polls.

is it confirmed for Wellington anniversary weekend (Sat 23rd - Mon 25th Jan). I would like to look at booking a cabin at the camp ground if it is.

Jono

Shall we make a decision then? all those in favour.....

OK our official dates are Wellington anniversary weekend Sat 23rd - Mon 25th Jan. I will edit the original post to reflect this.

I'm happy with that weekend, and will hire a cabin or bach and leave the kids/better half at the beach.

Thank you for the quote on cutting.

Out of respect for the manufacturer I can't cut "Wisels" or "Beevolutions".

just to be clear - I think we were talking about ordering windrider models from windrider, or 'scratchbuilding'. Many elements of the Wisel planform were obviously inspired by the original Dreamflight Weasel (including the name, which I am not a fan of), but is (to my understanding) both a different airfoil and an  'open source' plan.The weasel has also been out of manufacture for many years, so the ethics of evolving/progressing models no longer being manufactured is slightly different.

(RCGroups wisel thread)

Some of this is probably moot, as it looks like the poll is trending towards 'any model' for combat, and something fast for one design man on man racing - talk about vacuum bagging rather than simple foamies, which I am guessing (as someone who has never gone beyond foamies on the slope) would befit a different design than a Wisel.

To get the greatest number of planes in the air irrespective of the class/event it needs to be kept as open as possible

Here's a tip for newbies: ballast up your model for racing with as much lead as you can for the conditions. Plan ahead with a simple ballast system so you can add more when its windier and remove it for lighter conditions.

But then I may be getting too fussy...... it's really all about just having fun.

I still have our Slope Racing kit stored in my garage, which we bought off Mark and has not been officially used since we did.  I would love to see it getting some use this summer. For those uninitiated this consists of 2 Pylons (6 metre poles), two hand held buzzers connected by long wires to a pizzo buzzer and a set (don't know how many we have) of coloured flags. What we don't own is a 12 volt car battery.

On another note: we always get a few more guys turn up that don't necessarily use this forum and the more we bandy the idea about, the more we'll get. The more, the better IMO because to run MOM and F3F, numbers are needed so that you get time to watch what's going on, and not just competing or helping. 10 is an absolute minimum for MOM and over 15 would be great.

Obviously for combat, numbers don't matter IMO.

Here's a tip for newbies: ballast up your model for racing with as much lead as you can for the conditions. Plan ahead with a simple ballast system so you can add more when its windier and remove it for lighter conditions.

On another note: we always get a few more guys turn up that don't necessarily use this forum and the more we bandy the idea about, the more we'll get. The more, the better

on point 1 - thanks - will do, but I am not sure how my landing style (slam it in) will go with ballast, but I'll try!

on point 2, I have put a note up on parkflyers in case there are slopers who frequent that site, but not this one - not sure how that will go down.