SlopeMe

Raglan Slope Fest 2016...do we want one?

Yep, good thiinking mcshaz - we have done this with past fests. There are 6 or 7 Auckland slopers on the Parkflyers site and they have some nice models: http://www.parkflyers.org.nz/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1024&start=0

none nicer builds or more numerous than your own. I am looking forward to meeting you - among other reasons, to be use as an example with my better half - explaining she has nothing to complain about as I try and make my "case" for buying my next glider (to a total of 5 - alula, fusion, elf, topsky 3, ?pulsar or maxa).

I told her about the post you made once with the huge box in the kitchen with the "WTF" sticker - she laughed a little too hard for my liking.

Here is a list of things we need to do if we are going to run a couple of events and not simply have fun-flying over the weekend:

1) Man on Man Race Matrix

2) MOM Contest Director

3) min 11-12 guys entry: 3-4 each pylon raising flags, 3-4 guys per slot

4) F3F Contest Director

5) min 5-6 entrants: 2 guys on pylon buzzers, one in the air, 2 on the ground prepping model getting ready to step up,

6) we need more coloured flags made: 6-8

7) 12 V car battery: if someone has a reasonable one in their garage this would do as long as it can hold a charge

8) ?

9) ?

10) ?

The contest director's position could be shared between a couple of guys so as to allow them both entry in the comp, although if one person is happy.... then they could stay for the entire comp.

Feel free to step forward if you wish to help with one of these jobs.

I will make the coloured flags and source a battery, plus set up the Racing Pylons and buzzers on the day since I have the kit here already.

Anything else you can think of?

Paul

I think that anyone competing will have to wave a flag when not flying. There is just too much to do otherwise

Are we planning F3F and MOM ??? Could take up some time

Jono

Are we planning F3F and MOM ??? Could take up some time

Jono

Yes Jono, that's the question. It is a lot to organise, especially with the number of pilots expected. I would rather not make the decision to hold one contest or the other (or both) without more discussion. However,  if there is not much more discussion forthcoming about a "programme" then I guess someone has to make a call.

So if I have to be the one to do it, I would call in favour of a simple fun-fly weekend.

I'm about 3/4 way through planking the fuselage of the Habicht and hope to have it ready for the Slopefest.

Also I have on order a Maxa Pro 4 Lite. From Vladimir's Model in the Ukraine. Ever since totalling my Supra at Matamata a few years ago I've been wanting to replace it. But now the technology has made a few advances with stronger and lighter construction, so I've gone all out.  With Vladimir you get to choose your own colour scheme via their amazing website:

post-8-0-29664900-1444159043_thumb.jpg

Should any of you be interested, I have bought some very nice KST servos from Dave's Toys. These were around AU $39 each plus freight and seem like excellent value.

post-8-0-11515600-1444159573.txt

Here also is a helpful article on setting up your flap servo for maximum throw which I spotted recently. Maybe someone has already re-posted this but I have not seen it before:

http://www.rcsoaring.com/docs/servothrow.pdf

good on ya Jono.  Hey I wanted to ask you; have you had any slop issues with your KST servos?

The KST's have more slop than the MKS but they are 1/3 of the price. I always attach the clevis as far down the servo arm as possible and as high on the horn as possible. Then you get to use maximum travel and the slop is minimised. On a F3B or J model you don't get to have a big control horn and the slop can be a problem.

Jono

Thanks Jono. Yes as you say, it's a good idea to use long enough rods to allow full use of the threads inside the clevises, sadly though, the beautiful tapered steel rods supplied with the MAXA were just not long enough to allow this: i.e. they needed to be 8mm longer.

I bought 4 KST DS125's for the MAXA wing, and two have major slop originating within the internal gears. They were both perfect after I installed them, but have somehow developed slop after just two flights. KST boast that their servos are "slop-free" in writing on their advertising blurb. The other two servos are tight as.

Dave from Dave's Toys is checking with KST about it currently, so I'm hoping for replacement servos arriving before I have to remove them. Anyway no big deal, its just that I'm going to hold them to their promise. Advertising a slop-free servo for under 50 bucks is quite a promise, and frankly...it's crap, and they need to be held accountable.

Hey guys...sorry I can't make the slopefest. Heading off to Aussie to fly B737's...transfer with work.... I really hope you all have  a super great time...

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

Pity we won't see you Mark...work comes first aye.

Just a redminder (intentional spelling) of the dates for our Slope Fest:

official date is: WELLINGTON ANNIVERSARY WEEKEND Sat 23 - Mon 25th Jan 2016

So get those batteries checked and charged, don't leave it until the last minute. If you are having trouble deciding which models to bring, may I suggest.....bring 'em all ! Sorry if I sound like your mother. 

Now to an important announcement... I'm not running this thing ! ............................................you are.

I'm just the self-appointed chief whip.  Some may be noticing we really have not organised anything in the way of contests, not enough of us have "stepped forward" to organise (see earlier post on what needs to be done), so I for one am perfectly happy for this to be a straight forward fun-fly weekend. (what about you ?)

There are certain advantages to this; this won't make anyone feel excluded due to limited free flying time and any pressure to have to compete / make it more relaxing to fly and less work to run....... there is no work!  So this may help some guys to feel more like attending? and numbers are important, the more, the merrier.

If you're reading this and haven't yet decided to come, perhaps you will now, since it's looking like a more relaxed weekend? 

We have guys already booked in to stay at Raglan Camp, which is 5 mins down the road, and if anyone would like to stay a night or two, I have a spare room or two here in Hamilton, I'm just 35 mins from Raglan. You can text me 0274 052 961. (I have beer and a cold fridge).

On another note: I'm hoping to spend a few days at Glinks' Gully near Dargaville again this year in early Jan. Mullet netting/walking/and some slope flying off the cliffs and dunes. I still haven't had suitable conditions to attempt a 70 km slope flight down the cliffs to the Hokianga yet, but am hoping again that this year it might happen? The westerlies look good for 30th Dec, but as we all know, forecasts this far out are usually crap.

Well that's enough arm twisting for now except to say.... hurry the feck up and get yourself organised for the 23rd.

Just finished fixing the Ridge Race for Raglan. Its funny working on a slope glider, not a DS glider. I just have to maiden it and dial in the CG. I have no idea what it should be as it was Dave's and he can't remember

Ridge Racer.JPG

• Like 1

She looks the business Jono. Shouldn't be too much of a problem to balance her... 

Got plenty of ballast for her?

4 hours ago, SlopeMe said:

She looks the business Jono. Shouldn't be too much of a problem to balance her... 

Got plenty of ballast for her?

its heavy enough already. Not sure if ballast will be necessary

Just signed up to this forum and am planning on getting to Raglan for the above dates.

What is the situation regards accommodation?

Hi there ASK,

glad you've found us and we look forward to meeting you at Rags. Just call the Raglan Kopua Holiday Park for details as to their accommodation. I think they have powered tent sites, cabins etc. The camp is only 3 minutes from our flying site.

Cheers.

Paul.

Its this weekend !!!! I should be there by about 10am Saturday morning :-D

the forecast is changing every time I look at it but a bit later in the week we should have more of an idea.

see you there

Jono

Looking forward to catching up again Jono.

Will be a good social time even if the weather doesn't play ball.

By the way, with you gone the gorse on the ridge has got a bit out of control - pack jeans, gumboots and gloves  :-D