Sign in to follow this  
mcshaz

getting you DLGs on aircraft

I am off to Oz for a couple of weeks around Christmas, and would love to take a dlg with me (with family around to help look after the kids, and work out of the way, flying opportunities will be much more likely).

How do you guys pack your gliders when traveling with them to minimise damage enroute? Do you use a separate case, or put them in your suitcase? any packing hint/tips/tricks? any boxes/bags you prefer? Cheers.

Thank you

Build a box from 6-8mm coreflute with push on lid. I used rivets and glue and fibre tape. It'll need to be 1.6m long and big enough to fit fuselage etc. To pack it in I take horizontal off and Velcro strap the fuselage to the side of the box.

Mines big enough for two dlgs. I might have some photos. Or just do a search for coreflute box for dlg

also check with your airline about cost and size restrictions.

13 hours ago, taurineman said:

Build a box from 6-8mm coreflute with push on lid. I used rivets and glue and fibre tape. It'll need to be 1.6m long and big enough to fit fuselage etc. To pack it in I take horizontal off and Velcro strap the fuselage to the side of the box.

Mines big enough for two dlgs. I might have some photos. Or just do a search for coreflute box for dlg

also check with your airline about cost and size restrictions.

photos and dimensions would be much appreciated if you can get the time - thank you.

Sure. Internal measurements are 1600mm long x 260mm high x 300mm wide. Its 6mm coreflute. i think if i was to do it again, it would be 8mm.

Heres some pix (note the internal baffles and reinforcing on the lid etc)

IMG_20151206_103042.jpg

IMG_20151206_103226.jpgIMG_20151206_103209.jpg

Thank you very much - as per all the other help you have provided on this forum Taurineman, it is really appreciated. rather than 8mm corflute, I might glue 5mm corflute to double the thickness, as I can probably get a couple of old signs/posters in 5mm for nothing, and it looks like ~$50 a sheet for 8mm.

Would you mind please posting the pictures again - at the moment the .jpg files seem to be corrupt. Thank you

9 hours ago, jonoashton said:

Nice glider box Pete. Your pictures don't work for me either. Do mine show ok ??

yep. I cant seem to upload any to this site. so i was trying to link them from another, but it failed...