TJM

glass /carbon fibre sloap soarers

Personally, i never understood the 3-position switch for flaps. I use the throttle for proportional flap deployment. Throttle full-forward is flaps up (go fast), Throttle full down is full flap deployment (go slow). YMMV. Dont forget elevator compensation...

I also run a slider which fine adjusts the amount of flap & aileron camber amount for fine camber adjustments (but only in thermal mode).

I use throttle stick for flaps except when I have a motor. Then I use 3 position switch. 

I have always used JR though and have no idea about Futaba though. 

The Futaba has sliders on the back side of the transmitter, I might assign one of these as they have a center position alarm and they can be used the same as the stick as I have the motor control on the left stick, will throw in elevator mixing to prevent ballooning when applying down flaps, will just have to be cautious during initial flight testing

• Like 1

I've set up the slider, very easy with this Futaba, thrown in some mixing to give a little down elevator when flaps are selected, Just waiting for the correct prop and three slim wing servos to complete the glider.

took the Radian out this morning, new esc, first flight perfect then mid the next flight the wind got really strong, Radians dont like strong wind,,, took alot of work to get it back to my landing spot in one piece but i did. i think the mystique would have been ok with more controle and more weight.

nope, Radians dont like wind at all... Too light, but mostly just too draggy. A 1.5m DLG weighing 250g or less will handle 3-4 times the wind a radian can. Its all about drag.

happy to hear you got it back in one peice. at least you can switch the motor on and come home with some authority!

Yeh it just about clapped its wings and was very hard to control with rudder and elevator only, wouldnt have minded but it drifted over houses and could have been embarasing !!! Any way the new model will be alot better in wind.

Received the wing servos Friday and fitted them this afternoon.Tommorrow morning will set the throws which is easy with the Futaba 18sz and may be a test flight.

The c of g with the battery supplied was way too far back, needs the equivalent of a small lipo in the nose to get the 122mm required.It's a large model compared with the little radiun! photo included.

IMG_3911.JPG

Test flight went well once i adjusted the down elevator when selecting flaps, Cof G seemed about right and managed a few flights untill the wind got up.

Sweet. Same here. Wind got up as the morning went on, but we got some club ALES in.  I took my new Maxa Pro EL out for a test flight today, but i wasnt happy with the RSSI/signal strength at some orientations in my range check, so it stayed on the ground. Need to figure out a better aerial placement...

I will need to get some air time to refine the settings, I used some one elses from a forum overseas and although it seems to fly ok I think that i will have to change some of the xpo settings to suit myself to get it turning nicely. I also need to take the socket out I used for balast and either get a longer Lipo or find weights to keep the c of g in check. With the existing battery it requires quite some weight to keep the nose heavy enough.im impressed with the Futaba 18sz, easy to set up and make changes etc.once you get used to there terminolgy that is :?

The servo out put shaft had snapped, getting a spare servo but have installed a new shaft, quite fidley.

It must have cracked the other day when it had a hard landing after clipping the bush while landing and then snapped today.

No other damage so all is good. Hope you guys had a good morning flying

Glad to hear she's back in action. Yip, it was a great morning's flying and John was hard at it with the vids and pics. Here's a couple of air to air shots from his Tundra.

Mystique.jpg

Mystique2.jpg

Flew the beast at Minogue park at lunch time, flew from the hill so got some good lift when the wind got up, landing was tricky though as the rotors were bad on the approach, full flaps zero ground speed then the wind dropped and you had to be on your toes not to stall, made five or six good landings and one where  I drifted too close to one of the larger trees and had to turn away out of my vision and it landed on a small Manuka bush, no damage, but had to fit a new wing servo arm, which a re quite thin due to spce constraints, bit of a blessing as it saved the servo gears which Im picking are not accessible in the spektrum thin servos that I have in the wings. I think i had better get a spare one just in case though, for future use. 

looking forward to a good dat at Rags when the wind and weather are right.

Sweet. Nylon clevises also work well for taking the impact. They tend to shear off the pin saving the servo. Get good servo arms if you can as sometimes servo arms are awkward to replace.

Don't bother with servo savers.

looks nice!!

Hey Darryl. I was looking at your photos to see if i could see my old house but it was just out of the pictures. I use to have lots of fun flying foamies at that park 

Two airtech gliders on their way from France, one may have to go as my request for one got lost in translation, will be interesting to see what they are like.

19 minutes ago, TJM said:

Two airtech gliders on their way from France, one may have to go as my request for one got lost in translation, will be interesting to see what they are like.

Mystique or Jedi 4 ? I could be interested 

As far as I know one is jedi and the other is Fitness, smaller slope soarer,, we will see whne they tun up  both electr capable if required.

We will see how fedex performs, should be here late this week unless there is a hold up in customs