taurineman    10
2 hours ago, jonoashton said:

Awesome, looks great !! Are you running 3.7v ??

Yes, 1S lipo. Fully charged its 4.2V. Ill charge when it gets to 3.6V. Got telemetry so have warnings etc setup on the taranis. FrSky RXs brown-out at 2.8V so no worries there. Servos get patchy about 3.2V. I expect the current draw to be less than a DLG as only two main servos as opposed to 4. So should be easy 1 1/2 - 2 hour flight time.

Most DLGs run on 1S and this is only 90grams heavier than my old Aerial but 2m span.

taurineman    10

Got to maiden it this morning after the rain at Trentham. Gave it half a dozen hand throws before committing to bungee. The first few flights were terrible. Flew with its tail down and wouldn't turn we'll and wouldn't do anything unless it was going fast. Elevator far too sensitive. CG too rearward. Added 5g nose weight. That helped bit still not great. Added another 6g and then it was much nicer.

Got the bungee out and the first light launch went very flat. So I moved the hook back 4mm and programmed a launch preset for elevator (several Clicks up). This time it launched well and got some height. So went scouting for thermals. Not long before I found a weak one which it handled well. Time for another and full power launch. Good launch height this time, and hooked up in a strong thermal which sucked it up.

It handled quite nicely for a RES. likes to fly fast bit more like a dlg in that regard. But nicely mannered. I like it. Just need some more time on it.

New flying weight is about 410g. CG now would be around 72-73mm need to check. But it's at the very forward of the recommend range. Hook position is at the rear of the recommend range. Worked for me today. Time will tell...

taurineman    10

yes, i was a little surprised too... For my thermal models i do like a more forward CG than i do for slope/DS as you spend a lot of time up very high over your head where you can accurately judge pitch - so pitch stability is important.

Maybe ive mismeasured, or theres something else like decalage or something which is not right? having said all that, i liked the way it flew where the CG now is and i'll likely leave it there...