made_in_nz

FrSky Taranis Q X7

I've been looking for a buddy box transmitter for my daughters and anyone else who happens to be out on the slope and wanting a try at flying.  After much procrastination and generally pissing about settled on the Taranis Q X7.  

I decided on this model for several reasons:

- price.  $154 delivered.

- opentx.  If i bust my Taranis X9D I can use this as an interim transmitter.

- If my kids actually get into flying then this would be an awesome first transmitter.

I've got it on order but not yet received it so I will update once it arrives and have had a chance to play with it.

Pete W has one and its his primary DLG radio. He loves it. Mostly cause its really light, and for DLG you dont want a heavy radio. He has a small 2S lipo in it has a DIN socket mounted on the back as a balance/charge plug. He also put the front dials/rotaries on the sides as sliders and used X9D slider knobs.

There is also the QX7S - which has the better gimbals at the cost of little extra weight. With OpenTX it is as powerful as the X9/Taranis, just few buttons. Doubt most would ever out-grow it... And for the cost? well, the QX7 is *the* best value radio out there - bar none!

Yeah, the value for money is terrific.  Those mods Pete W has done sound interesting.  I don't really get why you'd want a light transmitter when flying a DLG - sounds like you guys are getting a bit too serious about stuff if you think an extra few grams in your hands is somehow reflected in the DLG?!

I'll be sticking with the stock X7 with the AA battery tray in the back - it'd be pretty funny if i end up using it as my primary radio.

1 hour ago, made_in_nz said:

I don't really get why you'd want a light transmitter when flying a DLG - sounds like you guys are getting a bit too serious about stuff if you think an extra few grams in your hands is somehow reflected in the DLG?!

You only have to try launch a DLG with a 1.3Kg Horus X12S, and then again with a 500g QX7, and it becomes quite obvious ;)

DLG launch height is directly related to the speed at the moment of release. Speed=height. Mass will dampen the acceleration but provide more momentum, but if you cant accelerate it to its top speed before release then your height suffers. So light = good. in both plane/DLG and radio as it all has to accelerate.

4 minutes ago, made_in_nz said:

duh, i was not thinking about the launch at all.  

Launch height is king 😉

23 minutes ago, AlexH said:

Lol Launch height doesnt fix stupid lol

Nope it sure dont.. but it helps mitigate it ;)

As JW said: "You measure launch-height in 'mistakes'. Toby can launch to 3 'mistakes', and i can only launch to 2 'mistakes' high, but i make less mistakes than him"

so perhaps to re-phrase: "when all else is equal, launch height is king"

It looks like this could become my main transmitter.  I just cocked up an antenna repair on my X9D - it will need a new backboard but i don't see anyone stocking them for the original Taranis (not Plus).  On the bright side it should still be fine as a buddy box.

So sorry kids, daddy's keeping your Christmas present this year.