AlexH

WANTED: EPP slope models or kits

Alex

Its real hard to get EPP models in NZ now. I have been recommending windrider Bee2's lately. I think Pete may have ordered 3 not long ago for local guys and himself.

If you were ordering 3 to save on postage, I would take 1

I have a couple of kits squirreled away but cant let them go because its too had to get replacements. I gave a scout bee kit  that I could possibly let go but then I would just need a bee2 (i prefer bee2's) anyway

Jono

He does 3 for $60 or 1 for $30 shipping. its in the drop down menu. I have done it before and the option is still there. He will not do anything else, I have tried

windrider.jpg

Yeah, it puts a kit above $150NZ which for a set of cores and some tape, is a bit much... Aim is to try get something around the hundy mark for the new fellas to just get them something robust to get going. If they get hooked, only then are they likely to spend more than a hundy on getting something going.

I may trawl through my EPP foam collection and see it I can get some things going for them...

I'd love to get my hands on a new EPP slope soarer too. My CS Eraser is the only thing I have for stronger winds and messy landings.

Something scale like a Spitfire would be cool!

Canterbury Sailplanes used to make a few EPP PSS type models, but they went out of business :( There are no NZ based commercial EPP foam cutters left now.  Shame really.

windrider and ncfm are a few international retailers which still sell EPP kits, but they become an expensive proposition when freight is included.

Yeah, it is sad CS are no longer around, I would love one their warbirds now. I also had a CS F20 that I tossed out when downsizing at one point, admittedly it didn't fly well because I built it way too heavy.

I've seen the windrider and ncfm offerings and was also put off by the eventual cost to get them here.

1 hour ago, jonoashton said:

Would anyone be interested in a bulk EPP purchase so we could make some gliders??

Yes. Who would do the cutting? what design? Reaper(ish)?

1 hour ago, jonoashton said:

Would anyone be interested in a bulk EPP purchase so we could make some gliders??

I'd be interested too, particularly if shipping to Auckland is ok and it was something with a fuselage and tail feathers.

Id do the cutting. Ill have a custom offsite workshop next year with a designated foam cutter. If I can get EPP, I will make whatever people want

So Im in for EPP, if you can find a way to cost effectively get it here..... Have been trying for 2 years

Found *loads* of Chinese wholesalers of EPP foam sheets. Here's an example:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/EPP-Foam-Sheet-EPP-Foam-Material_60632588287.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.66.687482f01pqKfu

you can pick density and dimensions. Min order is 100 sheets. 40mm sheet 1000x1200mm is about 45 USD per sheet. So $4500 for a massive pile of EPP. Perhaps a bit much...

These guys do a min order of a cubic metre (a much more managable amount!)

https://mylon.en.alibaba.com/product/1203285076-221722307/epp_foam_epp_foam_material_epp_foam_sheet.html#!

I cant get onto alibaba, Have logged in once before but it seems to have a glitch and wont let me back in.

Ill put money up for some foam if someone orders some....

1 hour ago, AlexH said:

I cant get onto alibaba, Have logged in once before but it seems to have a glitch and wont let me back in.

Ill put money up for some foam if someone orders some....

Im happy to put money towards a bulk order, but i/we dont have a foam cutter which can do EPP properly...

this is the email that I got back. I am not sure what FOB Ningbo means

Hi Joanthan Ashton

Dear Joanthan Ashton,

100x1000x1200mm 45 USD per piece FOB Ningbo

The term FOB is used in modern domestic shipping to describe the point at which a seller is no longer responsible for shipping cost.

Jono - do they do a thinner block? 100mm thick would mean we would have to slice them thinner otherwise the waste EPP would be excessive? Do they do a 40mm?

Start another thread about your design and see whos keen to get one? that could give us an idea as to how much to buy etc.