Sign in to follow this  
Mortal

Batteries for slopers?

I might need to replace an old NiCad 4 cell pack with something else that can run your basic receiver and 2 servo slope foamy.

I was inclined to get a NiMh square pack for ease of storing, transporting and charging - and I need a lot of weight in the nose anyway.

It seems NiCads and NiMhs are being replaced in favour of LiPo and LiFe so I just wanted to know what people are putting into new slope foamies these days? 1S or 2S LiPos with appropriate booster or UBEC, and some extra lead to balance where necessary?

NiMh are still good for most slope models. If you use Lithium batteries then you will be over voltage with 2 cell and under with 1 cell and then you will require a voltage regulator. Lithium are also far more likely to catch on fire if you crash hard. 

If you happen to have a high voltage receiver and high voltage servos then lithium can be good but if not then I would stick with  Nimh

Jono

For a general slope glider NiMH are the sensible choice. Safe, simple, correct voltage, good enough.

There are compelling reasons to use lithium, but general slope soaring is not the best fit.

I can see advantages in lithium if you wanted to build Ultra light. Eg a dlg. A single cell 400mah lipo is plenty to fly for hours. Most Rx will happily operate on 1S or 2S. Most servos will run on 1S bit tend to be a bit slow, but some like the MKS DS75 is designed for 1s.

2S will give you more speed bit you'll either need a regulator or HV servos which are pretty common now.

18650 Li ion cells are much more impact durable than the prismatic foil pouch lipo type. Make sure you balance charge by default!

LIFE cells are a whole lot less critical and don't tend to erupt into flames. But they are less capacity for the same weight and have a flatter discharge curve. They are also more expensive.