Sign in to follow this  
SlopeMe

West Coast from Dargaville north.

I've travelled up north from Dargaville to Kai-iwi Lakes and further on up to The big Kauri tree Tane Mahuta and you can see lots of potential flying spots on the coast from the road. These look to be major clifs and/or very high slopes overlooking the ocean.

However I did not get the opportunity to explore these at all, it was a few years ago and I have always kept this in mind.

Has anyone flown any slope in this area ? or know of any particular sites overlooking the ocean north of Dargaville ?

I reacon this part of the country could be hiding some major slopes that could be "discovered" and prove to be excellent.

I'm dreaming here but I would love to take a week or so in the summer and drive up for some serious looking around and flying.

Paul.

Baylys Beach just north of Dargaville you can drive your car right on to the beach and park right under some nice big sand cliffs that make some unbelievable lift on a south west wind. just keep an eye on your car as the tide comes in pretty fast when your having fun and looking up in the sky all the time.

or Maunganui Bluff even more north is a really good place if your fit and enjoy a good walk but you can fly that on a west and south west wind. its a old hang gliding site

you use to be able to drive to the top till the maoris ran the farmer off the land and claimed the land back if you dont believe me google (allan titford)

but these many good flying places on the west coast. if your keen to fly your'll find them. i drive from north of whangarei to baylys beach to fly just cause its so good to fly on 5 to 40 knots SW

Cool, I've often been up to Whangarei, not for a long time since we had the kids though, and I've wondered where all the good flying sites are up there. There is a big hill overlooking Kamo that had a good launching spot I thought, never got to try it though...

There were some good spots in at Whananaki, just north of Whangarei, but I hear that they are being built on now... :cry:

kamo is a good place you just got to ask the at the house next to the hill but they all ways let you or if no one is there they got there cell phone number to ring. dont you love it when people are like that but best wind is a south east the hills called parakiore its got so much lift you can stand on the side of the cliff and not even feel the wind.

Whananaki has got some nice places out on the point just got to ask at the campground but just not when its lambing time.whangarei heads again has some nice spots and a good DS spot. then these ocean beach, kauri mountain beach has a nice little spot, up the hill from sandy bay surf beach is a nice little cove. so there many of places for many different winds just need more flyers to help me enjoy them :D