Sign in to follow this  
Flyingtime

Slope - Sanatorium Hill (Maungakawa) - Cambridge

Flyingtime    7

This site takes a Southerly, usually very cold!!! Where I live currently I can see the flying site out my lounge window. Access to the site from Cambridge SH1, easiest directions are (from the north) follow SH1B or SH1 from Hamilton into Cambridge township to the roundabout by KFC, turn left and go down to the bottom of the hill on the main road, TURN left off the main road into Albert Street and climb back up the hill. Shortly after climbing the hill turn right into Thornton Road (it's the first road on the right, you are now heading directly towards the flying site, you will see it on the hill in front of you near the top. Follow Thornton road beyond the built up housing area, take Maungakawa road on the left, it's Y junction (Still heading towards the top of the hill). You will head through another housed area, as you pass Fencourt road on the left the road drops suddenly down and around to the right (on this corner is the entrance to the Cambridge model airfield) keep on going up the road (it gets very windy, and steep beyond the model club). When you have reached the top of the hill (Finally!) you need to make an almost 180 degree turn up into Gudex Memorial park and follow the dirt road right to the very end, park on the grass on the RHS. Photos show the transmitter station at the top. On the RHS of the road there is a rock right next to the fence (you can hop over the fence easily at this point or go further up and climb over the gate). The farmer at this site likes to be phoned before anyone goes onto the property - Mark has the phone number for the Farm owner and the Farm manager. If there is stock in the flying paddock, then you will probably not be allowed to fly there. Anyway, once over the fence by the rock, head down towards the gap in between the trees and bush (by the smaller transmitter) - step over the electric fence (wire is usually hot!) and there is the site - see photos.post-70-13812670426977_thumb.jpgpost-70-13812670427492_thumb.jpgpost-70-1381267042793_thumb.jpgpost-70-1381267042843_thumb.jpgpost-70-13812670428922_thumb.jpgpost-70-13812670429351_thumb.jpgpost-70-1381267042975_thumb.jpgpost-70-13812670430233_thumb.jpgpost-70-13812670430704_thumb.jpg

Geoff    0

Hi there, new here but hoping to get back into some slope soaring in the next month or so. Have had a look through the Waikato sites on the forum but unsure how much of it is recent.

After any info about slope sites in and around the Cambridge area. Prefer something reasonably close due to busyness and time constraints. 

Any suggestions appreciated either here or by message.

Thanks

Geoff

jonoashton    16

Rodger is the only person that I remember flying at Sanatorium Hill. I never went there. I use to fly at Tauwhare a bit. It is a good slope (and close to Cambridge) but you have to walk up  the hill. It is on private land but the farmer was very cool with us flying there. Raglan is great in a westerly and Ruapuke is great if it is south west. the great thing about Raglan is that the sea breeze usually works on a warm summer day and you can fly straight from the car park. A bit of driving time but no walking required.

Jono